Saturday 3 March 2007

Long lost friends and acquaintances...

This week has seen a few changes made at work. Firstly I signed my permanent contract and I am now a full time member of staff! So at least I am in a stable state of employment now! Along with this came a change in my job role... where I was previously looking after lapsed accounts I have now been given accounts of my own to manage and co-ordinate. Just trying to settle into the new role and introduce myself to the partners this week...

Anyway, back to the title of this entry. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does it seems to be never ending! What am I talking about? Well, in the last few days I have discovered that some of the people I work with went to the same school as me. It all started with an introductory email company wide. And one of my colleagues realised I went to school with Johnny Wilkinson, which he also attended many years before us! And whilst we were discussing our stories over a boiling kettle a girl from marketing overhears and says her brother was at the same school! It was a guy from my brothers year and she knew my brother! It's a small world indeed.

But that wasn't the end of it... today I got up to wash and hoover my car. Something I haven't had the chance to do for ages and something I really enjoy! Well, as I was washing my car, my neighbour walks past and stops for a quick chat. Now I don't often bump into them as I am either at work or indoors. But he initiated the conversation and asked me in I knew someone... this person who he works with was actually one of my close friends from the same school as I mentioned! It was rather bizarre to find my neighbour is a work colleague of my school friend!

As most people know, I haven't had much of a social life for nearly two years due to MBA commitments and a more focus approach to work. And due to this there I have lost contact with many friends. But from out of the blue I was contacted on MSN by a couple of friends I hadn't spoken to in a while and then I was called by another couple of friends last night! There were motives behind their calls, but none the less I felt quite 'warm' inside to be someone that they turn to... and at the very least I have left behind a memory in their mind of me!

Going back to my limited social life. I say limited because I have been going out somewhat, but not frequently. And more often than not it has been due to invites from friends and family. I, myself, have not arranged anything social, other than the odd lunch/dinner with friends, since my birthday last year. In fact I hate to admit it but I seem to 'hang out' with my parents and their friends more and more these days!

I used to be very fidgety and always looking for something to do. But recently I am happy to sit at home and do nothing. If no one invites me to anything I won't exactly go out seeking things to do either. It just seems my life has gotten dull recently... if not in other peoples eyes, but in mine. yes I go kick boxing and to the driving range, but thats about it. This weekend, as with most weekends my time is being given to family and friends. Except for Monday which I made an effort to take a day off to go out with a friend.

Well, I guess the next time I will be arranging anything it will be for my 30th birthday a little under 5 months away. Time really flies when you get a into the late 20s! But what I have realised is that there are still people who I haven't seen of heard from in over 10 years that still remember me. Did I leave a lasting impression back then with more people? Will some of my friends of today still remember me in 10 years time if we were to never see or talk again? Does it really matter?

We cannot live forever, but our actions can be remembered for a long long time. Whether it is good or bad, it's up to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I own up to calling Tin-Tin last week. I did have a motive, but it also meant that he was someone I thought had the right information to supply me; it was an important question and of all my friends Tin was someone who I knew could answer.
Then I found out how much dosh he has in investements and wasnt it a pity we never fell madly in love with each other so I could tap into the cash?....'what if'.... :p