Monday 12 March 2007

Camaraderie


Just a word, but this work brings back memories. Some very good memories. It takes me back to a time when I was playing rugby with my friends at college. Friends I had known since I was 11 and friends that grew up together as a unit. For 7 years a group of us played rugby together, year in year out.

It is times like those that I really miss sometimes. But today I relived for a short moment that same feeling I once had. Today I was in London playing in a football tournament near Liverpool St. It was organised by some Thai organisation for oriental teams. My friend called me and asked if I would play and I said yes.

Our team, Boston Manor Concrete FC, was one of 16 teams in the competition. Why the name? Well, our team organiser trains there with his regular team. I actually only knew 2 of the guys who we in our team and met the other 5 players when I arrived. The other guys had never played together before either so we were very much a mismatched team with no idea of what to expect or how well each of us could play.

Anyway, the competition started and we were one of the first teams on. We were losing 2-0 by half time before I came on as a rolling sub, but we still ended up losing 3-0. It was a real shock and disappointment, but we got a feel of how to play for our remaining two matches which we had to win to progress to the quarter finals.

The second game I sat out as I was actually injured from kick boxing on Thursday night. A pulled calf muscle meant running wasn’t easy! The team did really well and we played our tactic of having one upfront at all times pulled off and we won 3-1. We had a glimmer of hope and suddenly a group of individuals who barely knew each other had developed a certain bond and self belief. It was that feeling that reminded me of my rugby days, especially when we used to play in Sevens tournaments which lasted a who day with a similar format.

In out last group match a few of the guys were quite worn out and I played in the final match. My role for the team was back up keeper or else I was in defence as the sweeper. I’m not exactly a small guy and I don’t shy from challenges and I literally threw my body into tackles if necessary, although, on hindsight (and feeling the pain) I do regret it somewhat! We won the last group match 2-1 and we were through to the quarter finals! From having no expectations, we were looking to push ourselves to go further!

We looked around at the other teams playing to eye up the competition and there were some very impressive teams out there! When our quarter final match up, I was sat out for the first half. We lost some silly goals, but we were also getting outplayed, but I felt the score of 5-0 was a bit unfair on us. I came on in the second half and used my physical size to push the other team around. Grazed the whole of my left shin from sliding in for the ball, cuts on the right calf and knee from random contact and blocked a few shots with any part of my body I could get in the way! In the end we scored a couple of consolation goals, but we were knocked out 7-2.



Although we were disappointed, we had a great time as a team and there is very little that can compare to a good team spirit, trust and belief in each other. If we can apply the same team camaraderie in our working life or daily life we would be much more successful in everything that we do. Anyway, we were knocked out and we packed up our things and said our good byes to some of the teams and friends who were still in the competition. Our team went our separate ways, but we are looking forward to playing together again at some point in the future. Thanks guys for a great day! I was proud of what we accomplished and I’m sure we ca improve in future performances.

I know I will feel the aches and pains of my reckless playing style tomorrow, but I am quite competitive in physical sports, and though I will hurt people with my challenges, I do not wish them harm and I am always making sure the other player is ok. However, I won’t back off from a 50-50 ball. Honestly speaking I think I could be quite a good player if only I could improve my fitness level to something close to my prime. Time to hit the road and do some RUNNING!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you sure do think a lot =P