Friday 23 February 2007

Been a busy week...

After recovering from my bout of flu in record timing I was back at work and in full swing. This week has been particularly busy with the celebration of Chinese New Year, meeting an old uni friend and also a friends birthday. Not to mention my ritual kick boxing!

But it's a good thing. The quicker the week passes the quicker I am into the weekend which promises to be even more packed! Firstly I NEED a haircut! I actually wanted it done last week, had I not been ill! Then I am booked up all Saturday working on my friends CV after he was made redundant last week! And then in the evening I will be round my uncle's house for dinner. And Sunday it is round my friend's house to celebtate his son's one month birthday. I don't even have time to breathe!

So what else have I had time to think about this week? Seeing that it is Chinese New Year I have been thinking about tradition. I find it very comforting that for my entire life our family has been very close. More on my mum's side of the family than my dad's. Nothings perfect in this world. But to have such close relatives and for all the cousins from my age down to a 7 year old to get on so well I am very grateful.

The tradition in our family for most celebrations and events throughout the year revolves around eating and talking followed by many rounds of mah jong for the oldies, whilst us younger family members are usually going out to play snooker, chatting or more recently, playing a couple of rounds of mah jong ourselves.

It has not been like this as the uncles and aunts were all pretty much working hard during the early periods of life. It is only in the last 10 years that we have really come together as a family and been able to enjoy life without the pressure of work. I guess it is down to the children growing up and relying less and less on the parents.

It won't be long now before my generation of cousins start families of their own with my cousin getting married in May and another planned for next year. It is exciting times and our family is due to grow again! At the moment it takes a mini car park to accomodate the cars needed to transport all the relatives to a restaurant and it won't be long before a family get together requires the booking out of an entire restaurant!

Anyway... I hope everyone had a wonderful time celebrating Chinese New Year with their family and friends and may this year bring everyone all that they want through hard work and laugher.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

such a happy household. my family used to be like that until us kids grew up and our parents get lazy/have other friends and neglect family. sadly it is so. we only get together for memorial days or weddings...wishing all good things for this new year :) even though mine has little to be envious of..

Anonymous said...

dear, y u switch to a new blog?
hahah...there are some chinese on the setting? good way to learn chinese huh?
btw, u'r comin over in april, promise u'll take the twin brothers to hong kong ...lol