Monday 13 August 2007

Recent downturn in fortunes... and a more thoughts on life

A long break since my last update. No particular reason other than being lazy and not having much to say really. I contemplated 'blogging' a few times but I wasn't really inspired so I left it.
Certain things have played on my mind recently and though things are going pretty well, I find a small bit of bad news can have a big impact on me emotionally. Winning is a habit, but so is losing applies to how I am feeling too. Whilst I am feeling good, not a lot can damage my positivity, but once it gets bad then it becomes a chore to life myself up again.

There were times when I felt I could just blurt out my angst to all and not give shit. But I took time to think things through and realise it's not fair on people if I did that because it is not there fault I feel the way I feel. It's a personal issue that I have to place under control. People haven't changed, it's my own perception that has. It was probably more evident since my car had a cylinder failure resulting in a lack of mobility for a week and that also meant no gym! Something I really miss!

But there were some positives to be gained from being carless... I got to use public transport a bit more which I have never had many complaints about other than being restricted to travelling at certain times. I trained into town a couple of times during the week and I also trained out to London (seperate story to tell here...)! Having met up with friends in London for dim sum I then faced a dilemma of getting home. My friend offered me a lift to his and we hung out for most of the day. Bought a frisbee and chucked that around in the warm weather. Then he washed his car. Later that evening another friend picked me up to go bowling where I met up with some more friends who eventually gave me a lift home! It was wonderful the way I managed to work my way home from central London via network of friends!

Anyway, I want to go back to the issue of public transport. Maybe I am not a regular user of trains and public transport but I do enjoy using it when necessary. It takes the pain out of having to stay alert and I get to read and listen to music. Due to the problem on my car I had to take a train to London over the weekend as explained in the previous paragraph. I walked to the train station and as I approached I saw my train pulling up! I ran and just jumped on in time! I then went to see the ticket inspector to purchase a ticket, but instead I was told I had to pay a fine because I boarded a train without a valid ticket. I argued I wanted to catch the train and came to buy a ticket as soon as I could, but he was having none of it and gave me 2 options which meant nothing to me as he didn't really explain himself very clearly. In the end I paid the fine and bought a ticket.

Now, in my younger days I would have probably been really pissed off with the guy and probably wouldn't have gone looking to buy a ticket. But being more mature and older I wanted to do the right thing. I appreciate that there are rules and regulations in business and I was using a service. I can argue that the train was going to go to London with or without me, but I was using the service so I should pay. The ticket inspector was merely doing the same job I do day in day out, ensuring that our customers pay for the licenses and maintenance of our software. It's easy to be lenient and let things by, but that is not business and that is where companies fail. Adhering to rules and regulations ensure that a company is at its most efficient and although it was more than what I was expecting to pay for my travels, I did not feel hard done by.

This month is a bit of a quiet month for me because I need to get back on track with my finances now. Most of my time is being spent with my relatives rather than going out and it has been good. This weekend I will be going up to Essex for a BBQ and kick around with cousins, and the following weekend is another 'cousins' gathering at a Go Karting day. Before I know it, Christmas will be here! I have yet to decide if I want to go back to HK or not yet.

I feel ‘fat’ from not going to the gym for the last week due to lack of car. Can’t wait to get back in and working out again. I feel more alert and less fatigued when I have been going to the gym!

Something else that came to my mind today was the repetitiveness of our lives. Maybe it's just my own, but I have noticed that week in week out the same routine takes place. We spend Mondays to Wednesday talking about the weekend just gone and from Wednesday to Fridays talking about what to do for the coming weekeng! I guess my life is quite mundane at the moment. Stuck in a bit of a rut with visions of the future looking very foggy... I can see no further than a month ahead. I'd love to look further ahead and plan my life with someone but planning for one requires very little... especially when it is me. A guy who has pretty much everything and needs nothing.

Another take I have on life is how our short working years can be shortened and represented by a 7 day week. We work 5 out of 7 days which is almost 50 of our 70 years. How we choose to work and live can be represented within these 7 days. For some the week starts on a Monday where we would work hard and earn our money to spend over the weekend. Others may choose to spend over the weekend and work to pay off the debt. Our lives are very similar in that we can effectively work early and spend our hard earned cash or we can have our fun now and spend the rest of our lives paying for it.

The end result is very much the same but the lifestyle you live is very different. I don't know if there is a right way or a wrong way, but its our own way...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

do we really work for 50 years of our 70 year life though?
5 days a week, with holidays in between. we also dont start working until at least 18 right?

but the maths aside, i would feel really peeved off at the ticket person - after all you went up to find him and buy a ticket, you were'nt dodging the fare!