Thursday 10 May 2007

Have you missed me?


I have been absent from my blog for a long time now and the reason for that is because I have been in HK for the last week. There was no stable internet connection and I didn’t have the time to update anyway. So here is what I have been up to…


Expressing Myself

Before I left to go to HK I did something I wanted to do for a while now. I told a girl how I felt about her. How did I do it? I wrote her a letter. I bought her a couple of small gifts and I sent it all in the post knowing that I will not be in the country when she receives it. Am I being old fashioned? I don’t really know, but I know I couldn’t think about what I was doing otherwise I would just get embarrassed and not be able to go through with it. As it turns out she wants to talk to me in person now… I feel nervous. I’m not sure whether I will be rejected or accepted. Either way, I feel better having told her how I feel and I have nothing to hide now. I’d rather KNOW where I stand rather than hold out and wait for an unknown period of time. It’s not long till we meet so I will soon know…


Grandparents

My main purpose of going to HK was to see my grandmother. She has been alone since my grandfather passed away 2 years ago. It’s great that she is still in good health and showing no signs of ageing even though she’s nearing her 90s! I wish I could visit her more often but it’s just not possible. Although the time we spend together is mostly in silence, I feel a closeness and a calmness around her.

However, my other grandparents who are both alive and well are more comical. Grandmother is always overhearing things that make her think the worse of grandfather. Grandfather is always picking on grandmother for her naivety. They have been together for 60 years but they have not learnt to live with each other.


Death and Money

I don’t know if I am just getting old or I am just growing up. But I find that life revolves around these two. When people die others dive in to grab any money left behind. It seems so sad but that is the society we live in today. On one hand there are those who are always looking to take advantage, but I also heard a very sad and touching story about a man who had over £1million and about to retire.

He planned to buy a house for each of his 3 sons when he retires and with the money left over he was going to travel the world with his wife. Unfortunately his wife had to go through a minor operation and during the process she contracted a virus which she never recovered from. The family was devastated and took solace in Hong Kong. Only 3 months had passed since the death of his wife when his youngest son fell ill and the doctors discovered a tumour in his head. For 2 years the man spent his life savings on the best doctors and the best medicine to heal his son, but to no avail and he passed away after nearly spending his father’s entire savings. One mans life was turned upside down in 2 years.


Shopping for others…

My time in Hong Kong was an exercise as a shopping assistant for rich people! I trawled the streets of Kowloon for over 12hours over 2 days. I spent over £400 and most of it was for other people! I had to find, buy, carry and deliver back to various people in the UK. Not that I mind as I was buying for my little cousins and also for the girl I like. In fact I found that there is great contentment in finding things that people asked me to buy. It did take me 3 hours walking up and down Ladies Market, but finding the items brought me the biggest smile!


Me…

So much is going through my head recently. I have had so much time to think. For an entire week I have pretty much been hanging around people who are much older than me. My grandparents, my parents and their friends. I did see a few friends and spent time with them too. But I felt more of a connection with the ‘oldies’. Their words make more sense and are more important to me. Am I really THAT old now?!!?

There’s so much I want to do and achieve. Will I do it? I want to change my car. I want to start my own business. I want to afford the lifestyle my parents live for my future family. I wan to make a difference to those around me. I want to live a happy life…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

again, another touching and emotional blog from tin gor. i dont think the letter and gifts in the post was traditional, on the contrary i think sometimes a revert back to basics by way of 'courting' is a good thing. well, maybe i just say that b/c i have a traditional streak in me?
i've been coming back here to see if you've updated, i really wanted to know how you got on. by sending her the package meant she had time to think it over; now that she's asked to see you in person is a good sign. if she didnt like you, she could have returned your presents and texted you 'go away'. the fact that she's asked to see you means she respects you, a good sign really. good luck with that one. dont pressurise yourself too much by the way of future and providing for your future family, i know its on your mind all of the time, but once upon a time you were telling me to relax about it too. it will all come in good time. iv seen many couples get together this year, its a good year..it will come ok? *hugs*