Monday 19 November 2012

London

Over the years I have spent a lot of time driving to London to meet my friends and eat. Today I drove to London as usual, but then I thought how much things have changed and what going to 'London' means in present day versus 15 years ago. 

Back when I first went to uni in London, going to London meant Chinatown, Leicester Square, Soho, Namco and Trocadero. Of course Chinatown, Leicester Square and Soho still remains, but Namco and Trocadero are long gone. 

Today I drove to 'London' and I realised my destination has changed considerably from central London to more the outskirts. Of course a number of significant venues, restaurants and landmarks are still 'central' and on occasions, still options for visiting, but mainly I head East to where I dragon boat and where my friends live. Clubbing in London has switched to trendy bars around Shoreditch. Eating out is more about food quality rather than location. Meeting up with friends takes place in homes rather than out and about. Get togethers usually mean a day out somewhere out of the city. 

I drove an 'old' route to Picadilly Circus today and so much has changed in terms of traffic due to the congestion charging zone. But again, my destination was actually further out. On my way home I didn't go the way I came, but rather via a new route I had learned based on where I was heading home from.

London means something different to me today than it did 15 years ago. The single yellow lines I used to park at have been removed. The roads have changed. Reasons to be in London has evolved. I think I have gotten all I want and need from this city and I feel it is the right time to leave. 

It's been an amazing place and for various different reasons I have found myself knowing lots of areas around London and though it's not like a Taxi drivers 'knowledge' I have lived in the North (uni), driven in from the West (usual route in to London), know the South (friends) and also have a lot of knowledge around East London (dating a girl and having lived there). I probably know my way around London better than my 'home town' just because I spend so much time there and drive a lot. It's probably cost me a fortune in fuel, but it has been an amazing 15 years. 

I hope I can find a new home and my way around Hong Kong in a similar fashion...

No comments: